If you have made investments into any of the above within the last 12 months, this is also acceptable. The Home Office are happy to consider these as part of your visa application so long as you can provide evidence of holdings.

You must not however:

  • Invest the funds through an off-shore company or trust
  • Invest in open-ended investment companies, investment trust companies or pooled investment vehicles
  • Invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development. This prevents investment in companies whose main function is to own or manage land or buildings. You can however invest in constructions firms, manufacturers or retailers
  • Invest using deposits with banks or building societies whose normal course of business includes the acceptance of deposits
  • Invest into ISA’s, premium bonds and savings certificates issued by the National Savings and Investment Agency.
  • Investment that rely on leveraged investment funds

Since 06 April 2015 you will no longer need to invest additional capital if you sell part of your investments at a loss, but you will be required to maintain all of your original capital within your investment portfolios. Trading of capital will be permitted provided you do not withdraw any capital.

The new rules require that you re-invest any proceeds of the sale of investments into qualifying investments (whether or not they are sold at a gain or at a loss). You will also have more time to arrange this – until the end of the next reporting period, or within six months of the sale date, whichever is sooner.

It is important at the outset to invest more than the minimum threshold so that the surplus can cover any portfolio management fees, transaction costs and tax on the investments, as these costs cannot be paid from the minimum qualifying investment.