Spouses & Unmarried Partners

If you are married or in a civil partnership with a person that is present and settled in the UK, you shall be able to apply for permission to remain in the UK, providing that you meet the relevant requirements. Alternatively if you and your partner have been living together for at least two years prior to the date of your application you may be able to qualify as an unmarried partner.

Duration of Spouse / Unmarried Partner Visa

The spouse visa enables you to work in the UK and will initially be granted for a period of 30 months. After spending five years on a spouse visa you are then eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, as long as your marriage/relationship is subsisting and you can continue to meet the financial requirements.

What Requirements Do I Need to Meet?

To qualify for a UK spouse / unmarried partner visa you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You and your spouse/partner must be 18 years old or over.
  • You must have met each other and be legally married or have lived together for at least a two year period.
  • You must intend to live together permanently.
  • Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children.
  • You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse/partner and any dependants.
  • You must be able to prove that you can speak and understand the English language. As part of your application you will need to provide evidence to show that you are either from a majority English speaking country have a qualification equivalent to a UK degree that was taught in English or have passed an English language test from an approved test provider.


What To Do Next

Document Checking

If you are planning on submitting your own visa application

Same Day Service

If you need your application to be processed within a day

Contact A D Themis

If you would like to know more or would like to discuss your immigration matter with one of our specialists